Tuesday, March 13, 2012

North Carolina Vacay

Well I'm a few weeks behind posting about our vacation, but I've been a little busy since coming back to reality after a wonderful week in North Carolina!  My brother and his family live there so we were able to knock out visiting them and we got to stay a few days in Beech Mountain to ski and snowboard!  They were the best hosts, they had literally just got back (days before we got there) from their 2 1/2 week mission trip in Haiti.

Since we met, David and I have wanted to go out West to the mountains.  We always talk about how much we enjoyed vacationing in the Rocky Mountains skiing and snowboarding when we were younger.  Unfortunately we will probably hold off on that big of a vacation for a bit longer.  Since we knew we wouldn't be going out West I decided to plan a little mini vacay during our time visiting with Ryan and his family.  Since Beech Mountain was only a couple hours away from where my brother lives it worked out perfectly!  It definitely wasn't like the mountains out West, but it satisfied our craving to go ski/snowboard.  I feel like I need to keep saying (or typing) "skiing" and "snowboarding" because I ski and David snowboards!  I was a bit nervous since it had been about 10 years since I went skiing, but it was just like riding a bicycle (seriously).  I only fell once and it wasn't even when I was skiing it was when I was getting in line for the ski lift!  I even got a bruise and no good story behind it.  We had so much fun though.  My parents, myself, and my niece Willa did the skiing.  My brother, SIL, nephew, Gray, and David snowboarded.  Willa was like a speed demon going down the mountain.  She had only gone skiing once before and that was a year ago.  She is 7 and she practiced on the bunny slope for about an hour and then was ready to hit the big mountain.  I was scared to death for her that first time because she came flying by me, trying to wedge, but not slowing down at all.  She knew just what to do though, she fell back on her bottom and stopped!  She was laughing and giggling and I was so stressed getting to her to make sure she was alright!  But she was fine.....I swear kids are fearless!

Here are some of the pics I was able to take while we were at Beech.

Morning before 1st day of skiing
Kelly made Willa put a helmet on because she was skiing so fast!

This was at the top of the mountain.
The McLellans

Since everyone's winter has been kind of mild they actually had to blow snow on the mountain at night so we could ski.  They had a pretty good base of about 4-5 feet of snow and then they just added to it each night.  The last day we went skiing was absolutely beautiful.  It was probably about 60 degrees and hardly a cloud in the sky.  Perfect spring skiing weather!  

Once our skiing vacation was over we were able to just go back to my brother's house relax and spend some quality time with each other.  I loved being able to spend so much time with them!  And as a nice surprise we were able to invite my cousin Lindsey and her boyfriend, Daniel, over for dinner our last night in North Carolina.  She moved to North Carolina after she graduated from pharmacy school last year and only lives about 20 minutes from Ryan.  So it was nice to be able to visit with them as well.  I wish I would have taken some pictures just lounging around their house...oh well!

Overall our vacation was absolutely perfect!  I was very sad to be leaving family, but was ready to get back and see Sidney!  Although, I don't think she missed us as much as we missed her.  She was in good hands with Morgan and was able to play everyday with her friend Diesel!  

And just so you know what we were missing.......


Who couldn't miss that sweet face?!




0 comments: