Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Our Story...

I came across a cutsy little link up survey when I was reading a Blue Eyed Bride.  (She had linked up from From Mrs. to Mama)  I thought since it is so close to Valentine's Day I might as well share "our story" even though most of you who read this will already know!


1. How long have you and your significant other been together?
We have been together for 2 1/2 years...it seems so much longer though!




2. How did you meet? {What's your "love" story?}
I'll try and give you the "summarized" version.  I love to see how God's plan (not mine or his) is unfolded through our story....

We both had just come out of long-term/serious relationships and were definitely not looking to jump into another one!  At least I know for sure, I wasn't.  My dad's friend (who also happens to be my neighbor) told my dad that she had the "perfect" guy to set me up with.  I was in no way for this...I had just come out of a 6 year relationship (my only relationship) and had no idea what dating would be like at 20.  I wanted to take baby steps, not jump into a blind date situation!  I said "heck no, not gonna happen!"  My neighbor is a Sgt. for FHP and the so called "perfect guy" worked as a trooper on his shift.  Anyways my neighbors had a beach house the week of Blue Angels and said that some guys would be there from his shift and that my family and I should come out to just hang out so I could get a feel for this guy.  I didn't really agree, but they planned it all out anyways!

In the mean time my best friend was dating this guy who played softball on the weekends.  One weekend in June they were playing a coed tournament in Milton and Morgan asked if I could play.  I had to work until 12 but told her I would be out there after that.  So I get off work go out there, and say hello to everyone I know, but don't officially meet the other people I didn't recognize.  After we played a few games we went to eat at Tastee-Freez in Milton and we're all in there just talking and eating.  All of sudden I start to realize that this one guy (who I don't know) is talking about "cop" things.  Then as we're leaving I catch someone call his name, which is David.  I then remembered my dad telling me that this blind date guy's name was David because he joked that he must be a good guy since they have the same names.  Things started to click in my head.  As soon as I get in the car and question Glenn about who this is I realize this is my blind date guy!  How weird that we both were asked to fill in for people to play at this coed tournament!  To be honest when we arrived back at the ballpark I had no idea what I was going to say...how awkward? (At least it was for me.)  I ended up deciding to go with it anyways and walked up to his truck to strike up a conversation...he completely rolled the window up as I started walking to his car.  Not a good move on his part.  He denies this happened, but trust me it did.  So after that awkward moment, we end up playing right beside each other in the outfield....everything else just fell into place (kinda)! Haha.

3. If married, how long have you been married? If not, is this the guy you hope to marry? {do tell}
We have been married 8 months!





4. If you are married, where did you get married at? Big or small wedding?  If not, where would you like to get married? And will it be big or small?
We got married at my hometown church...it was beautiful.  And then had the reception at Scenic Hills Country Club.  I thought when planning it might be too big, but it was just perfect and we had soo much fun with ALL of our friends and family!


5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share!
We don't really have any consistent nick-names we use all the time.  People who work with David or are friends with his parents call him Dave, or Little Dave.  I don't ever use this for some reason.  When we fist started dating I called him David, but when I spoke to my neighbors they always called him Dave, so finally I asked if everyone but me calls him Dave...he said no just his coworkers and his parents friends...I'm glad because that would've been awkward if I was calling him the wrong name the whole time!

6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.
My most favorite thing about David is his sense of humor.  He can make me laugh at any given time and can brighten my mood with his witty/sarcastic comments.  He can even make me laugh when I'm really mad...which most of the time is good, sometimes not so much!  I also love how friendly he is.  He doesn't meet a stranger and I love that about him.  Lastly and most importantly, I love that he is a man of God.  I know I'm only supposed to name 3 things, but I also love how family oriented he is with my own family and his!



7. Tell us how he proposed? Or your ideal proposal?
Well we had talked about taking that next step, so I knew it might be coming.  During those couple of weeks I thought he would propose I would plan all these romantic dinner dates and nothing ever happened.  He actually proposed on the laundry room floor with our dog licking his face because he was down on one knee when I walked in from work!  It was perfect!  Later I found out that his plan was to ask me when we went to dinner with my sister and BIL.  He planned on getting things ready when I went to the bathroom, then popping the question when I came back.  This plan was pretty good because I use the bathroom at least once or twice during dinner!  Needless to say (since I use the bathroom ALOT and my whole family makes fun of me) I tried really hard this dinner date to hold it until the end of the evening...and I succeeded!  Sorry if this is too much info, but it's so funny because his plan was so well thought out.  But his plan didn't work out, just like my Dad tried to warn him.

8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?
I would say he's a flowers kind of guy, not so much teddy bear though.

9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?
While I would like to say sunset dinner kind of girl, I love staying in and watching movies together.  I mean I wouldn't mind doing a sunset dinner every once in a while, but I definitely like being home and enjoying time in by ourselves!

10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?
I would like to go overseas.  Hopefully one day we can do this, but definitely not anytime soon!

11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine's Day.
We don't have plans as of yet.  He is actually off (woohoo!), so we may just go out to dinner or maybe he will cook dinner for me!  Nothing too big.

12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's day?
No....I don't really need anything.  Normally I just get some flowers and a funny card, which always fits David's personality to a tee.  Before I can even open the card David is laughing because he thinks its so funny!

13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.
Since we haven't been together very long I'm no expert at this, but I believe if we can keep God at the center of our marriage we will have a long, striving marriage full of love.  I also think it's important to laugh; being able to laugh at or in any situation and not take everything too serious is another way to keep a lasting, loving relationship.  I also hear some people say that they have lost the spark or butterflies in your stomach feeling after so many years of marriage.  I think it's important to keep this.  My friend's mom told me that it takes work to keep that feeling but they have been married for over 25 years and she still gets it!  I love that.  Obviously, those butterflies aren't there as often as they were when we dating, but I still get them from a slight arm around the shoulder sometimes or a smile he gives me and I'm so thankful.  I don't ever plan on losing those sparks or butterfly feelings.

I can't forget some awesome advice my SIL, Kelly, gave me.  She told me to use my name or my husband's name in the place of the word "love" or 'it" in 1 Corinthians 13: 4-13.  She said try considering love as a verb rather than a noun.  I'm finding this advice to be words to live by!



14.  Show us a picture of what love means to you.
The cross represents the most amazing type of love.  Marrying my best friend in front of my family, friends, and God is love in the verb form!


Happy (early) Valentine's Day everybody!  Hope everyone enjoyed our story...

3 comments:

B F said...

Beautiful wedding!

Rachel said...

You were a gorgeous bride! We went on an overseas trip the summer of our second anniversary, and it is one of my favorites memories I have from our marriage. It was such a special trip!

Lindsey said...

Thank you! If we make it to our 2nd anniversary without any little ones we may try something like that as well!